and history are very much part of the tradition of Freemasonry which
is based on legends that date back to the time of the construction of
King Solomon’s Temple. Of the many great buildings erected by the
masons in the Middle Ages, attention has focused on the great
cathedrals throughout Europe.
Masonic Centre in Limerick is located in the midst of the tourist
and heritage area of the city, directly across the road from King
John’s Castle and beside the former Bishop's Lady's Palace (now the
headquarters of Limerick Civic Trust). The Jim Kemmy Limerick City Museum is also nearby,
as is the Hunt Museum.
One of the many features of
our museum is a reconstructed portion in similar stonework of the
original wall of the coach house and stable used by the Bishop of
Limerick in the 1740's. Some other parts of
the original building have also been retained in the museum area.
North Munster Masonic Centre in Limerick greatly welcomed a grant
from Shannon Development under their Tourism & Heritage Innovation
Programme, and this enabled them to complete the museum and
library area at the North Munster Masonic Centre which is open to the
public by prior arrangement. To make an arrangement please follow the
e-mail link below. Alternatively, please contact Limerick Civic
Trust who are organising guided tours for groups (see below).
the leading role that Shannon Development has made to the promotion of
Heritage and Tourism throughout the region
Mr. Geoffrey Ashton, the Past Provincial Grand Master of North Munster, has
stated “We are delighted to be given this opportunity to fit out our
Freemasons' Museum which will be open to the public by arrangement. We have a great
many artefacts with particular historical links to Limerick City and
surrounding area. It is a great shame that these have not been on public
display and we thank Shannon Development for this innovative
Ashton went on to state that “We pride ourselves on being a good
community neighbour. Not alone will we now have a public museum but we
also have a centre which we are anxious to share with local
community groups. We have meeting rooms and a large function room with catering
facilities that has ease of access for handicapped visitors.”
of the artefacts in which the Freemasons of North Munster take great
pride is the ancient brass square known as the “Baal's Bridge Square”.
A replica of this takes pride of place among the exhibits in the
museum. The original brass square was
recovered from the foundations of Baal's Bridge in Limerick when the
bridge was being rebuilt in 1830. It is inscribed “I will strive to
live with Love & Care Upon the level By the Square” and bears
the date, 1507.
This Square is reputed to be one of the earliest
Masonic items found in the world.
A limited edition of 500 replicas in
“distressed” silver, hallmarked and numbered, was struck from a
mould taken from the original and each comes in a presentation box
accompanied by a certificate of provenance together with a history of
The replicas were made to
commemorate the 160th Anniversary of the founding of the
Provincial Grand Lodge of North Munster in 1842.
proceeds have been going towards the Masonic Centre just across the road from
King John’s Castle in the old City overlooking the River Shannon a
mere 500 metres from where the Square was originally discovered in 1830.
We now have only a limited
stock of replicas and regretfully the
price has risen to €250.00.
Click here for more information on the
Baal's Bridge Square.
Guided tours of the Masonic Centre, including the
Museum, are now being
arranged, for groups, by Limerick Civic Trust who may be contacted at 061 31 33 99.
General enquiries can be made by e-mail to:
The Provincial Grand Lodge of North Munster
Copyright 2015 -
Provincial Grand Lodge of North Munster - All Rights