The Old Meeting Rooms
of the Lodges of North Munster
show that Lodge 13 met in a number of different locations throughout
the city. In 1789 it met in the house of one of its members in Barrack
Street. In 1804, it moved to the Royal Coffee House and then moved to
the Mercantile Coffee House, next it moved to the house of William Collopy, then on to Moriarty's Hotel. Next it met in Supple's Hotel,
Thomas Street. At other times it met in rooms at 92 George's Street,
Cruises Hotel, and Swinburns. In May 1841, the Lodge moved to Northumberland
Building in Henry Street to a premises that was known as The Masonic
Hall. Three years later they moved to 97 George's Street (later renamed
Back in the late 1700s Lodge 36 used to meet on the
first Wednesday of each month in the house of one of its members who
lived in one of the houses which had been built on Baal's Bridge. His name was
George Bell and according to Ferrar's Limerick Directory of 1789 he
was a Card-maker which would have been connected with the wool trade.
In 1872 the new venue for the
"Provincial Masonic Hall” was in Glentworth Street, subsequently the
site of the Lyric Theatre and now an apartment block opposite Pery's Hotel (formerly the Glentworth
In 1879, on the 6th November, Provincial Grand Lodge and the other
Lodges joined with Lodge 13 and set up their premises at No.6 The
Crescent where they remained until March 1968 when they moved back to
97 O’Connell Street, Limerick.
At 6 The Crescent, Lodge 13 maintained their
own separate meeting room. There was also a Lodge room which was used
for Provincial meetings when the room could be enlarged by opening
dividing doors into another room. The premises, known as the “Masonic
Club” also had a Snooker room, Reading room, Kitchen, Dining room and
full Bar facilities.
new premises at 97 O’Connell St. were much smaller consisting of just
2 rooms; an Assembly or Ante room and a meeting room. So all the
furniture of the Lodge rooms at The Crescent had to be compacted into
the new smaller Lodge room, making it one of the most unique in the
country. Having no dining facilities now required that Festive
Boards and other special occasions had to be held in local Hotels.
The high back canopy chairs date back to the 1840’s and bear the
family Coats of Arms of the occupiers of those seats.
The Lodges remained at 97 O’Connell
St. until they moved to their present premises in Castle Street,
King's Island, Limerick in the summer of 2003.
The meeting rooms were completed although construction work on the
ground floor and entrance way continued until March 2005. The
official opening took place on Friday 23rd September 2005 with the
Minister for Defence, local TD Willie O'Dea performing the ceremony. The
then Grand Master, Eric N Waller and many other senior members of the
Order were in attendance.
has a long association with Freemasonry in County Clare. Lord Dunboyne
was originally a member of Triune Lodge 333 in Limerick and served as
the Grand Treasurer of Grand Lodge of Ireland. In 1864, Lord
Dunboyne joined the
Ennis Master Masons' Lodge 60. It
was common practice in those days that meetings were sometimes held in homes rather than dedicated buildings. Knappogue Castle was the venue
for many of these Masonic meetings. In July 1867, the Lodge
changed its name to 'Dunboyne Lodge No. 60'. For more information
about Knappogue Castle's connection with Freemasonry follow
Copyright 2020 -
Provincial Grand Lodge of North Munster - All Rights