Ormonde Lodge 201
at the Masonic Centre, Castle Street, King's Island, Limerick
on the 2nd Tuesday of every Month
except in June, July & August.
ABOUT LODGE 201
The Warrant No.201 was
granted to Nenagh on the 3rd April 1846, at which stage it adopted the
name "Ormonde". Ormonde Lodge is still known as the Nenagh Lodge and is
listed as such in the Annual Calendar and Directory issued by Grand
Lodge. The Warrant was
granted to Richard Lewis, who became the Lodge's first Worshipful Master,
Michael Harty, who was probably the Senior Warden and William David Patterson as the Junior Warden. Some of the other members of the Lodge
at that time were James Dempster, Provincial Deputy Grand Master of
North Munster, J.C. Dempster, Charles Kempstone, John Burr Fletcher (see
F MaGrath and William B Fry.
Most of these Brethren
were prominent businessmen, or owned land or properties in the Nenagh
area. Rice Lewis was a prominent personage in Nenagh and owned
extensive lands and properties, and Michael Harty an apothecary (a
chemist), owned extensive properties. In 1849 his property in
Smithville was rented as an Auxiliary Workhouse to house 300 paupers.
It was later used to house and school 400 boys. James Dempster, M.D.
was an ex-Army Surgeon, appointed as a Commissioner in 1839 for the
erection of the new Courthouse and gaol.
However, in May 1945,
Lodge 201, which was by then largely composed of Limerick Brethren and
probably because of travelling difficulties due to the effects of the
Second World War, moved its meeting place from Nenagh to Limerick
where it has remained ever since.
Seven members served in the 1914-18
War, with FW MacKay making the supreme sacrifice.
ASSOCIATED WITH NENAGH
Lodge No. 288, 1757 - 1822.
Lodge No. 70, 1806 – 1830.
Lodge 208, 1841 - 1856.
ASSOCIATED WITH WARRANT No.201.
Sporthall in Co.
Monaghan: 1749 - 1758.
Cavan: 1758 - 1771.
Revived 1st March 1810 and cancelled
again on the 7th September 1843.
In St Mary’s
Church, Nenagh is
a Memorial Tablet to John Burr Fletcher, M.D. which was erected by the
Brethren of both Lodges 201 and 208. The Tablet is in the form of a
Masonic Apron with the emblems, (the V.S.L., the Hourglass, the Square
and the Compasses) on the flap of the apron. By 1985 the Memorial had
fallen into disrepair, and in that year was restored by Lodge 201.
The full inscription on
it is; -
THIS TABLET HAS BEEN ERECTED BY THE
BRETHREN OF THE MASONIC LODGES 201 AND 208 NENAGH. TO THE MEMORY OF
JOHN BURR FLETCHER M.D. IN TESTIMONY OF THEIR FRATERNAL LOVE FOR HIM,
A VALUED AND LAMENTED BROTHER, NOW RAISED FROM THE DEATH OF SIN UNTO A
LIFE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS. DIED 14 JULY 1847. AGED 27.
Copyright 2019 -
Provincial Grand Lodge of North Munster - All Rights